Tuesday, July 26, 2011

There cannot be a bigger record: Ganguly

Sourav Ganguly has developed a reputation with his sharp comments and in-depth analysis of the game. He spoke to DNA at Lord's where he made Test debut in 1996. Excerpts:

How is it coming back to Lord's where you kick-started your career with a bang 15 years ago?


Lord's is a special ground and I always enjoy coming here. The atmosphere is excellent; the support is equal for both teams. It is actually great to see so many Indian supporters here.

Is there a sense of deja vu for you? Did it occur to you that you should rather be in the middle than in the commentary box?


No, no. I'm done with cricket and I'm very happy about it. I've enjoyed my game and I'm enjoying my time in the commentary box.

How do you do it? Do you prepare for it as well?


No great preparation. I go out there and say what I think of the action in the middle. It's quite easy, in fact.

Does the team have the bowling depth?


Yes, why not? Zaheer has been in tremendous form. It is unfortunate that he is not fit but Ishant (Sharma), I thought, has turned into a tremendous bowler. We bowled very well in the second innings yesterday (Sunday).

Do you think India will be able to win the series with the current bowling strength?


Why not? There is fire power. Sreesanth can be an ideal replacement if Zaheer is not fit. Ishant has been doing well any way. And Praveen (Kumar) has come off very well. I don't see too many concerns in the bowling.

What is your prediction for the series?


It is difficult to predict. The teams are evenly matched. Any result is possible. I'm expecting a very keenly-fought series.

India started winning abroad under you. What does it take to win overseas?


First thing is self belief. You cannot go out there without thinking that you can win. I tried to instill that in the players and I'm happy that is continuing. Of course, belief alone cannot get you wins. You have to prepare and perform well.

How has the team changed since you left?


Not much at all, I think. Almost the same players are there. Only Anil Kumble is missing.

How is Dhoni doing as a skipper?


The results are there for everyone to see. His real test will be how he handles the situation once Sachin, Rahul and Laxman retire. I'm sure he will have the team ready to face the situation.

Who after Sachin & Co? Does that worry you?


I'm not exactly worried. Indian cricket did not feel any vacuum after Gavaskar, Viswanath, Vengsarkar. There were Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman. So, Indian cricket is robust enough to find the right personnel.

Rahul Dravid, finally, got his century after missing it in that 1996 Test...


I'm happy for him. He is batting as well as ever. Centuries at Jaimaica and Lord's have been superb. I'm hoping he will go on.

What about Sachin Tendulkar? How can one stay motivated for such a long time?


Motivation is not an issue for him, for that matter for any player. If you are playing for India, motivation will come automatically. The key is to stay fit.

How do you look at the possible 100th international?


It's an unthinkable phenomenon. I have never imagined such an achievement is possible in the game.

So, where do you place that record among other cricketing records?


At the very top. There cannot be a bigger record than this. I rate this even higher than 99.94.

No comments: